Monday, May 12, 2008

Adjusting

Jessica is in the process of adjusting to life in Idaho. Michael and I are also. But the inevitable happened today. Jessica walked up to me and was all, "Mommy, go to the beach? Play in the sand?" Poor girl. How do you explain the fact that you are hundreds of miles away from the beach to someone her age? I just pointed out the fact that it was raining outside and would be much too cold for the beach.

Speaking of the rain... once it had stopped raining there were a decent number of worms out on the sidewalk. Jessica was very excited about these "snakes." I explained to her that we shouldn't touch them, but just look at them. She understood and every time she pointed at one she'd say, "don't touch it!" Then she noticed a new one and without thinking she reaches down and grabs it. I immediately tell her not to touch. She dropped it in a heartbeat. Then she did something that totally surprised me - she started to cry. Not because she was upset, but because she was so sorry to have done something she knew she shouldn't have. It was like she was apologizing. I had to spend the next couple minutes reassuring her that it was ok, that she forgot she wasn't supposed to. Poor thing. Such a sweety.

There is something else I have to mention because it is just so darn funny. Michael joined the law firm softball team today. He said he figured the last time he played something even similar was back in elementary with T-ball. Let's just say that I am super excited to get pictures at his game next week.

4 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Jessica is a little sweety and such a smart cookie! She talks so well! I think that was cute they way she felt bad (even though she was crying):( What a tender heart! I'm glad you guys are adjusting nicely.(minus the beach for Jessica)

hales said...

I need to keep reminding Jessica how much she misses the beach. If I have to play dirty, so be it.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to break out the wading pool and get her one of those little tikes turtle sandboxes, then she would have her sand and her water! Or you can always take her to beautiful Rigby Beach!

Karen

Sar Bear said...

Laura! Oh my goodness I haven't talked to you in forever and a day! How are you!? Last I heard you had gotten married and were living in Vegas! What are you up to these days?