Friday, November 6, 2009

It's Done!

A few weeks back I became OBSESSED with this project. I couldn't believe it. Isn't that the most adorable little playhouse EVER!? Seriously... obsessed. I was determined to make one for the kiddos.

I measured like a maniac on our card table. I took a big roll of newsprint and sketched exactly what I wanted (which basically meant I drew a smaller version of the playhouse I fell in love with). Then I measured again to figure out how much felt (the fabric type I used) I'd need. Then I waited for the felt to come on sale at the craft store. Fine... I went to the craft store fully expecting to pay full price. Heck, I even got up to the register with my cut cloth fully expecting to pay full price. Thank goodness for totally unadvertised sales.

But you don't care about all this. The point is... it's done!!! It took WAY less time than a project of this magnitude should take a good mother. Let's just say that nap time for Chandler turned into quiet time for Jessica. It's a trade-off, right? Here it is - the playhouse!


I thought about putting an actual door on the playhouse, like the one I fell in love with. But that just seemed too dark and too likely to get ripped off.

The mail box comes complete with a few pieces of mail.

The big window side has a window box with flowers that can be removed. I followed the directions from the other playhouse.


The last two sides are my favorite. The garden has corn, lettuce, and carrots that can be removed. Again, look at the inspiration site for extra info.


The tree/dog side is fun too. The apples on the tree come off as well and reattach with velcro. The dog is a copy-cat from this Etsy store. She actually makes and sells these types of playhouses. I can't believe her prices. I mean, the materials were super cheap, but when I count my time... no way I would sell these. No way. There's a bag next to the dog with removable bones to feed him.


The windows are lined with tulle, left over from Prom dresses years ago. I won't pretend that my version is NEARLY as cute as the inspiration, but I love it. I'm fully expecting it to only get a few minutes excitement from Jessica, but that's ok. I'm just glad it's done so I can be a good mommy again and finally clean the bathroom... ugh. :)

12 comments:

homemade by jill said...

It looks fantastic! I love your bag of dog bones. Your kids will LOVE it. :)

K.C. said...

That is super cute and I love the idea of using a card table. You are a crafty queen!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

WOW you're awesome!!!!!

Bekah and Lance said...

way to go!! So cute!

Kristine said...

It turned out great! You even did the corn the way she did it! I love it. Ever since you posted it on fb, I've been checking out the fabric. Where did you buy yours? What did you use on your window? I am planning to make this for Grant for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda said...

So cute! I know what you mean about Etsy prices. Sometimes they are just way expensive. Good job!

Laura H. said...

I actually meant that the Etsy prices for this were cheap. Not that I'd pay someone else $150 to make it, but you'd sure have to pay me a lot more to do it.

Angela said...

It turned out so great! I am sad I didn't see Jill's version before I made mine. Felt seems like it would have been so much easier to work with. You did an awesome job. I almost want to make another one for my kiddies that looks like this.

Suzy D. said...

great job! what did the kids think?
I just love jills ideas don't you.

suzydinspired.blogspot.com

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Oh my this is amazing Laura!! Ella would go bananas for this. What a good mommy you are to spend so much time on a fun project for them. Its awesome! The gardens my favorite :)

GHFamily said...

You are amazing!

Rumsey's said...

Way to Go! Looks good!