Thursday, September 2, 2010

It's Game Time


It's that time again. After the crazy off-season we had, it's finally time to start college football. To kick it off, I was able to go down to Provo last night for the first Wednesday night coach's show with Greg Wrubell. It's a new show on KSL and every week Wrubell will interview Bronco, a former player, and a current player in the President's Loge there at the stadium. Tom Holmoe was the former player last night and was the perfect guest after the busy day of declaring independence in football. I made it down with a couple guys from work.



To get into the broadcast, you apply on the KSL site by writing a little statement on what BYU football means to you. I wrote about an experience I had while on my mission in Belize and was informed a couple days later that I was in for the first broadcast. Well before the broadcast began, Wrubell was up on the stand prepping when he stands up and asks if Michael Hales is in the audience yet. I said I was there and stood up while he walked over to me and told me that he loved my mission story. We talked for a few minutes about it and then he let me know that he forwarded the story to Bronco who in turn let Wrubell know how much he appreciated it. I sat down thinking that was it, but then I was surprised when, with 10 minutes left in the show, Wrubell read my entire story on-air. It's condensed quite a bit, but I'll let you hear it from Wrubell.


After the show, Mark Lyons and Tom Holmoe came and spoke to me a little about my story. We spoke for a while about Belize, independence, and future schedule. It really was just an awesome night. We got to go up to the media box at the top of the stadium box as well as see the new turf. Tom (yeah, we're on a first name basis now) talked about what a headache getting new grass in the stadium has been and that it would blow my mind if I knew how expensive it was.


We thought about waiting a bit to talk to Bronco, but he had a big crowd around him, and he had just been on air talking about how he likes to get back to his family right after work, so we decided not to bother him. Besides, we had a long drive home to worry about. Very fun trip and I was glad someone else liked my story about Brother Pollard.

Now, let's play some football.

6 comments:

Dad said...

Great story. Well written. Please send me the complete version. I know I can work it into a talk somehow.

Carly said...

Wow, you're famous! :-) Very very cool.

Mark and Kim said...

That's awesome! Way to bring honor to the Hales name. :) My dad will love hearing that.

hales said...

So are Tom, Greg, Mark and Bronco on your Christmas card list now?

Anonymous said...

I think so. We were all going to go grab some burgers...maybe some ice-cream cones and minature golf, but I told them I had to get back to Idaho. Maybe next time.

I was actually surprised that Greg was shorter and more skinny than I am. Mark and Tom were really tall guys though, but I guess they were the former football players so that makes sense.

Dr. Johnsen said...

That is cash money! That's a really cool story, I had never heard that before hales. Seriously Tight