Thursday, September 13, 2007

Being a Mommy

Just my thoughts on why parents talk so much about their kids and why there's nothing wrong with that. Now I remember how I felt when I was the childless one always being asked (by people I barely knew), when Michael and I were going to have kids. I remember feeling like there was no reason to hang out with the other girls I knew because I wouldn't have anything to contribute to conversations, etc.

So why is it that mothers only seem to be able to talk about their kids and nothing else? For some people it's probably just because that literally is their life and they truthfully don't have much else to talk about. But I feel like I live a relatively well-rounded life. I stay informed. I get out and do things and see people. But I still talk mostly about Jessica. Take this whole blog for example. 90% of the entries and pictures are about her.

The reason she dominates my life is because I want her to. I could talk about other things. But I want to talk about her. Yep, I have an opinion on the war, on the presidential election, on Darfur, heck, I have an opinion on Britney Spears. But those topics all pale in comparison to my child. Some feminists may say that's just because I've limited myself so much. I haven't really experienced life like the childless or the working mother. But this is life. I love her more than I could ever describe. No offense, but no one but another parent could ever understand how much I love her. And that's why I want to talk about her so much.

So I'm sorry if some of you may think it's crazy that I'd rather talk about the fact that Jessica has just learned how to say "please" (peas) than about Britney Spears or Hilary Clinton, but quite frankly I think that her milestones and the lives of all children are way more important than any other topic.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Well put. And...I don't think anyone should have to justify why they talk about their kids. We chose to have kids and stay home instead of pursuing degree after degree or instead of going to work, so of course that's what we want to talk about - they're our accomplishments!

Susan and Chris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hales said...

Don't we all think that our kids are the best there is? I know I do. And now that I have grandkids... Oh my gosh -- don't get me started! :-)