Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Utah and Slurpees

We went down to Sandy, Utah this last Friday to go to the reception of one of my roommates, Nolan. He ended up marrying the sister of another roommate so it was fun to see all the guys there. We were all roommates back when Laura and I started dating so she had fun seeing the guys too. Nolan's in the Navy and one awesome guy.

 
It's a funny story how I met these guys, all of whom are from Texas. Back in 98' I went to a cross country camp at BYU and Spencer (far right) also went that week. We ended up in the same apartment at Helaman Halls and ended up hanging out for the rest of the week (except for when he was dusting me on the long runs). I guess you could say our friendship was sealed when he saved my life. As part of the camp we hiked to the Emerald Lakes there up Provo Canyon. Well we were tough guys and decided we were going to run the whole time. On the way down, I wasn't watching where I was going and by the time I turned to look where I was running, I was heading off a 200 foot cliff. I tried to stay on the trail, but momentum was pushing me off the ledge. I had a split second to look around and saw a bush 20 or 30 feet below. I was going off the cliff either way so I decided to launch myself toward that bush as it was the only thing that could keep me from meeting a rather gruesome end. Spencer, who was behind me thought I'd committed suicide until he got to the ledge and found me down there hanging on for my life. He climbed down and pulled me up.

The next year we were both in Provo going to school and he was living off campus with these other guys. I ended up hanging out with them when I needed to get off campus and then I moved in after my mission. Needless to say, these are top-notch guys and I'm glad they let a Californian into their posse.

After the reception we went to Herriman so I could get my eyes checked out by a mission buddy who has a practice there. He was nice to stay late for us and I've never had a better eye exam. Then we were off to Provo where we got an awesome deal on a hotel with a pool - our little fish Jessica was in heaven. We spent Saturday showing the kids around BYU and other places that we love in Provo. I put together a little video of our events around BYU:


Saturday afternoon we went to Salt Lake to spend time with Laura's parents and then have dinner with them and her sister Karen and Karen's husband Jake. We went to Tucano's and loved it. Jessica got into it and ended up eating one of those little packets of butter as dessert. 


It's been super hot since we got back. To save money on A/C we just moved our bedrooms to the downstairs. The kids were hot from helping so we got out the blender and made Whispy Willies, a mission Slurpee creation from Belize. It uses a lot of sugar and boy did it excite Chandler. I wish I would have had the Rebel handy so I could get some HD video, but the iPhone was luckily in my pocket so I could get his spontaneous tribute to Napoleon Dynamite.

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh man, aside from being white, he totally looks like a Latino dancer. Didn't get his dad's moves!

Laura H. said...

No kidding! Especially at :23. We were laughing so hard that it just encouraged him to keep going. So goofy.

GHFamily said...

You have got to send this in as a diaper commercial.

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I love the videos! I think Michael might have to change careers...he has some mad skillz at editing/directing :) Such cute kiddos! They are growing up fast.

Carly said...

Oh my gosh, these videos are so cute and funny!

Amanda said...

What a cute video! I loved it!